Simply Me

Friday, March 27, 2009

Being a Punekar....

When asked, I say I'm from Karnataka... but I also say I am Puneri... Having been brought up entirely in Pune, I believe I have the right to say I am a Punekar...

As Punekars, you learn to talk the talk... Some words are distinctly Puneri... They might be marathi words but in Puneri, they have a different meaning altogether... here are some examples...

Jhepla... in the dictionary, this word is translated as... to be able to do, to afford... in Puneri, it means... to understand... Then there are the conjugations... jhepish/jhepoed (the english twist)... jhepa (the hindi lingo)... So this would be used as:
Kay jheptayka or Jhepa? (Specifically when speaking in hindi) or jhepish?

Bha-po... Now this is used when someody keeps going on and on about something and what you wanna say is chill... I got it... Bha-po basically means... Bhavana pohochlya... Enough of your ranting... I understand... Some other usages here are Bha-ja-ja-po... Bhavana zara zorat pohochlya or even Bhaplya... BHAvana pohochaLYA...

Panchat... as a word this means diluted... in puneri it can be used to describe a PJ (for the uninitiated, Poor Joke)... in short, PJ also stands for panchat joke...

So before amma come to scold me for still not going to sleep at 1:30 AM, I'll call the other Punekars who read my blog to comment with typical Puneri words... hope I can increase my Puneri vocab...

Labels:

posted by Tejaswini Shenoy at 12:59 AM

9 Comments:

so mannnny...
gandlela, chapri, katta, Joshi kaka/ kaku(def not to insult certain Joshi kaka/kaku... but said to anyone who's downright extra grouch), jabri, sadashiv pethi... can't think of any more...aur hoga tab will add.

and me too pucca proud puneri purnima prabhu :P

March 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

HEy.. maybe i was too sleepy to remember all this... ;)

Anyway... didn't know Joshi kaka/kaku (so you read my mind by giving the meaning specifically for that)... and didn't know katta was Puneri... interesting...

Gandlela is one of my fave words... And Sadashiv Pethi? You can't get more Puneri than that :D

March 28, 2009 at 1:11 AM  

bhaari, sahii, zhapla...not zhepla..zhapla...hehehe

March 29, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Adding on... tukkaar... same as chillar... absurd or too simple...

This Sujay reminded me of... 'kasla-aes?'

March 31, 2009 at 12:00 AM  

'kasla aes?' is jabri... also 'zabardast vajla'... that is when any1 has had a huuuuuuuuge verbal fight. 'Ghaati', and 'ulti' as in too good.

April 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

Ulti??? Hadn't heard that one.. seriously!! Looks like ur vocab is better than mine... (Does it look like we are having a conversation here like the 'good'ole-days'?)

April 1, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

that's ultimate ka ulti that's done.

and yeah...good ol' days... happy happy haappy happy days are here again....

April 1, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

how dumb of me... i do know that....

April 1, 2009 at 11:51 PM  

One more... gandlay... oh and baat baat pe taali bajaana... moreover door se taali bajana

April 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home