Simply Me

Monday, January 26, 2009

Musically yours....

There is something about music that can soothe your soul... Your favourite music people ask me... Anything that suits my mood at that point of time...

Being the Grand-Daughter of my ajju... a connoisseur of classical music and shastriya sangeet, I was well brought up listening to and enjoying classical music... I'd never guess you might like classical music said Ankur when he was browsing through the music on my cell looking for something interesting...

Classical music does have the ability to reach somewhere deep into your being... Close your eyes and feel it...

Amma and I had been to a Rudra-Veena recital last weekend... It was absolutely phenomenal... A single instument... even without the saath of tabla felt like it filled the air with the sound so clear and amazing it felt she was playing two instruments at once... the veena and a percussion instrument... The only female rudraveena player in India, the way Smt. Jyoti Hegde played could move one to tears...

All this brings me to why I wrote this today... YEsterday we were watching this programme on Zee MArathi... Nakshatrache Dene... which literally translates to 'Gift from the the stars'... And featured yesterday were songs by Pt. Bhimsen Joshi... A remark Nina Kulkarni, the anchor, made got me thinking... She said that we were really lucky to be born in a time as to get to hear Pt. Bhimsen Joshi sing... Here's my favourite...

As the reality shows which give more and more importance to Hindi Film songs grow, what is the future for this style of music? I developed a taste and love for classical music because of my family... ajju, annu, amma... Surprisingly, Ankur likes classical music... Supriya has learnt Carnatic music... But that just counts for 3 people that I know among my friends and colleagues including myself that have an inclination to this music... Are others of my generation interested? Would the next generation even know of the existence of this 'Gift from the stars?' The singers? The songs? The ragas?

I asked amma this... Have you heard the children sing in marathi Sa Re Ga Ma Pa? There are these kids who sing shastriya sangeet and classical music so beautifully... Don't worry she said... Classical music is here to stay...

Labels:

posted by Tejaswini Shenoy at 10:40 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home