Simply Me

Friday, November 2, 2007

Drivers driving us mad...

I can honestly say since I started going to office by cab, I have met drivers who can only be described as 'Namunas' or 'Samples'...

There was once this driver, on way to work. With a hands-free device in his ear, he has that stoic 'Matrix-like' expression on his face when he turns around to face me as we reach the next pick-up point and says,'Do you know she is XYZ's sister?' Heck, I don't know XYZ from Adam... Kya pata maybe some politician or famous builder or something... Aplya adnyanacha pradarshan ka karaycha? 'Oh, is it,' I ask him. A few weeks later another cab driver broached the same subject... Now this guy definitely didn't seem like he would throw me out if I asked... 'Who is XYZ BTW?' 'Oh, he's that person in FLM department...' Dhattt... Socha tha kya... Kya ho gaya.. 8-|

Now we meet a lot of those with the Himesh Reshamiya fetish... Like the one this week... I swear ajeeb tha banda... The first day, it was just I during the pickup... One day of HR maybe u can just about live through... Now the next day, Harsha asked him to play Radio Mirchi... No radio he says... Fine, doosra gaana lagao bhaiyya... Fast forward/Side change... Another Himesh Reshamiya song... Bhaiyya aisa gaana lagao jismein HR nahi ho I say... He changes the casette... Some atrocious oldies casette.. Now I like oldies as much as the next person, don't get me wrong... but the casette player was so bad, the songs sounded like a cheap remix... witout the beats... HEAVEN!!! and just as we reach the office gates, he applies the brakes and before we have even opened the doors, he has put back the HR casette and that at full blast... enough to cause permanant brain and ear damage... Wednesday a remix casette... and what are remixes these days without HR?... Thursday brought some kinda normal songs... Songs we normally hear on radio... Today, he had put on some awful marathi songs casette... where he unearths these casettes is beyond human imagination... the good news is next week there will be a different driver.

The cab driver this week for the drop was another category altogether... He was considerate in that when Sheeba and I ended up talking personal stuff, he increased the volume... Yesterday after dropping off Sheeba and Manish, we were just about to reach the main road when a new song came up 'Ye Ishq Haaye' from 'Jab we met'.. Now I had really fallen in love with this song when I had first heard it, so I asked him to up the volume, he had lowered it so that it was hardly audible(I know, unbelievable but true.. this guy slows down the car or stops the car at the side of the road when he gets a call and reduces the volume of the radio... though he has a penchant for speed and the ditches in the road, and if you are a Punekar, you ought to know, the situation is more like roads in the middle of ditches rather than the other way around and he drives real fast...) So when I ask him to increase the volume, he first fiddles a bit and increases the volume, he slows down and then stops completely, still fiddling, he changes the balance so that it comes up nice and loud right behind my ear from the right-side speakers... This takes 2 whole minutes and I am left wondering what devil had possessed me to ask him to increase the volume. I would rather have gone home and had dinner.. I was famished...

Then there are other categories of drivers... one of the first drivers I came across pretty much told me about his life.. his cars, his houses in Pune... another kept on bitching(does that word apply to guys?)... about the pick-ups, about the company FLM guys... everything... I mean I have observed that many people have the propensity to pour their hearts, feelings, miseries and joys out to me... Agony aunt.. maybe thats who I am... I sure don't mind that when it comes to friends and family; I mean thats what we are there for right? But I sure didn't want to listen to these people, I couldn't care less... I mean, the properties in Pune, the 4 cars and 5 drivers, how this week would be the last... It was more information than I could stomach thats for sure...

One of the most enjoyable drops was in one of the first 2-3 weeks... This guy drove soooooo beautifully, he drove at about 80, but I can honestly say I didn't feel one rut in the road nor did he step on the brakes and accelerator every other second making the ride feel like a jerky ferris wheel ride like some other drivers... On that friday, just before getting down, I bent forward and congratulated him on his wonderful driving skills...

Well with this week ending and next week indicating 2 new drivers for pick-up and drop, lets see what new category I end up meeting...

Labels:

posted by Tejaswini Shenoy at 11:56 PM

7 Comments:

LOL...
Boy have you been taken for RIDES!

November 5, 2007 at 12:45 PM  

loooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeur new template..... simply love it!!


will read ur full post later nd comment on it..... let me jus be awed by your template right now!

hee hee hee

nd yea.... tomo is ur BEST day na?? Wednesday? :P :P :P

take care!

November 6, 2007 at 8:12 PM  

yaa... i might have a hint regarding to the noisy part of ur music that u've mentioned...last time when i'd called u, cudn't hear ur voice, thanks to the blaring music.. BTW is ur cabbie TONE DEAF?

November 6, 2007 at 10:21 PM  

@Ajay: YEp definitely jaded after these rides

@Rach: Thanx. Fell in love with the template myself :)

@Purnima: Tone deaf.. totally deaf.. Bhagwan jaane

November 7, 2007 at 12:40 AM  

Interesting cab drivers uve got and nice analyzation...

November 10, 2007 at 4:19 PM  

hey i clouldnt read ur post.... i found it really difficult and stopped it midway.. ( blame my 15"screen re)

please change the template or atleast shift the content( if possbl) to make it readable.. :(

wil read for sure...

cheerz
-AJ

November 10, 2007 at 10:52 PM  

Ja re anna.. Itne kash se mila hai ek templatejo load hota hai dhang se and that too I loved this one.. NAhi chg karti

November 13, 2007 at 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home