Simply Me

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The long and short of it...

As a kid, many a times has the swing outside Blossom Beauty Parlour seen me crying after amma had taken me there to have my hair cut... Considering I wanted long hair, amma didn't want to bother with my hair and annu loved my hair cropped to a boy cut, you can understand who lost the fight AND her hair... After amma had dragged me screaming and wailing to the parlour, I would beg and plead with amma not to have my hair cut into a boy cut... Though I now understand her sentiments, I always hated having my hair cut short then...

The Blossom parlour lady had intervened on the situation once by suggesting a Ponds cut.. something the female in the Ponds ad had back then... Now, though I didn't remember what the model looked like in the ad, I knew for sure no female in an ad would have a boy cut... So I readily agreed to her cutting my hair to the Ponds cut... Now for anyone who knows what a Ponds cut is, this was again a disaster since a Ponds Cut is a marginally feminine boy cut... Obviously since I had agreed to the cut and I was too proud to show how distressed I was to see to see my hair back to being short, it was again the swing which had to bear the brunt of rust due to my salty tears...

While going to the dentist couldn't prompt a reaction so strong... (I have always maintained, Dr. Vaze's reception is like my second home, so often have I sat there), a visit to the parlour sure would have me crying buckets of tears...

Amma had never plaited her own hair when in school and though her hair was curlier, bushier and wilder than mine, she would tie it in a huge pony tail once she went to college... so she never really learnt or had the patience to plait her or my hair... And needless to say, with a daughter who needed to be coaxed out of bed by 5:30 to get ready for school at 7, amma really couldn't manage running after me Taare Zameen Par style making me get ready by time the school ricksha-waale kaka came to our door...

At 16, with school behind me, I finally had the freedom to let my hair grow... Now 9 years hence, Blossom is long closed down... and no one has seen me with a boy-cut or a Ponds cut or a Diana Cut or whatever else it is called in these past years...

...That was until the fateful saturday 3 days ago when we went to my now regular parlour... The owner of the parlour wasn't there... The woman with the scissors frowned when I said I want my hair short upto my ears and I guess that was all she was thinking of when I told her I want the rest in steps... A STEP CUT... The first inkling of the fact that I won't see my longer than shoulder length hair for the next few months came when amma gasped behind me and I felt the fan's coolness on my neck... I was officially back to sporting the Ponds cut...

Surprisingly, I love my short hair... absolutely no maintenance, expecially for one as lazy as me... I keep the window rolled down on the highway and won't bother with a scarf... Most friends have been quite encouraging and have complimented me on the way my hair looks and the way it suits me; Although some people have said... :O Ye baal kyon kaate? I mean, bura nahi lagta... par kyuuuuuuuun??? Or.. ka? ka? ka?

The best thing, though, about hair is, it grows back... be it a few weeks or a few months... atleast when you cut it of your own volition... So I live in the hope that I shall braid my hair again a few months from now... and until then... I need to find all my missing hair pins so that my hair doesn't get wet in the shower...

Labels:

posted by Tejaswini Shenoy at 12:54 AM

5 Comments:

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 3, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

kuch pal aise bhi....but u look really sweet in short hair....

November 3, 2009 at 1:32 AM  

i want to see u b4 ur hair grows bk to normal!!

November 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

Oh yes.. I remember the ponds ad. All pinkish and raining artificial white flowers!.. during chitrahar day..
Can't really recollect if she had short hairs...

November 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

@Sujay: Thanks buddy... expect really nice compliments from my neighbour atleast... :P

@Purni: Sure babezz.. kab mile? Tujhe hi sat chutti nahi rehti..

@Rajat: Strangely enough never had the heart to see the Ponds ad.. so can't vouch for the hair dresser's words myself...

November 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home