Simply Me

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Shri Suratkal Krishnaraya 'Mashtrumaam' Shenoy (16th June 1908 - 25th September 2009)

For the past couple of days, I have kept wondering whether I am being bitchy and selfish when I thought that when I get married I want the names of my grandparents to be there on the card; inviting everyone for their granddaughter's wedding. Not late but them being there to bless me and whomever I married. After all they have blessed all their grandchildren, why won't I be blessed with the good fortune of being blessed by my 101 year old grandfather and his beautiful young wife of 89? What could be more amazing than a bond of 75 years blessing a couple starting a new life?

It has been hard to see my grandparents who had lived with us for almost 16 years of my life looking so different now. It was difficult to comprehend that he couldn't hear what I said or that she has turned into something of a rag doll, so frail so weightless. It was difficult to watch Sohananna and Anil Bhavaji bring them downstairs on a chair knowing walking a flight of stairs was akin to climbing the Everest.

Still somewhere you rejoice when you speak with him or hear their voice on the phone. Hearing him say your name thrice in a effort to hear you call out to him as he wishes you a Happy Birthday. Hearing her talk joyfully with you.

Still when you see the missed call on your mom's cell from your mhantu you know it is not to wish you on your birthday once more. Something is wrong. You see your amma's hand trembling when she asks you to call but you can't make yourself dial the number.

You nod your head when she murmurs close to tears that your second love, your dear ajju is no more. You don't cry... you can't cry. Tears seem to have frozen. Slowly a lump forms in your throat but you have been strong for the people around you for so long, that its difficult for you to let the tears fall. You have cried over a bad viva in college and bad CSATs at work... Yet you can't shed tears for losing the person you loved second most in the world.



Shri Suratkal Krishnaraya Shenoy, aged 101 died today of a heart failure. He is survived by his wife, 3 daughters, 1 son, 2 daughters in law, 2 sons-in-law and his grandchildren, their spouses and great grandchildren.

Lovingly called Mashtrumaam by those who have known him from his teaching days was a beloved aanu, cherished ajju and adored taata. A respected and well-known teacher of Kannada at Canara High School, his students still came to visit him when he was in Pune and when he went to Bangalore. With a joy of hindustani classical music, he spent a lot of time listening to music, singing or teaching music. A master at mythology and Hindu parampara, he loved to create quizzes on these favourite subjects.

Losing a son and a son-in-law, this gentleman was still a wall of strength and an idol for his family.
A simple man who ate vegetarian food, walked for exercise and enjoyment as long as his feet could carry him, a storyteller with a smile which could light up a room and a simple joy of life, is someone we will cherish. The joy of travelling, love of family, acceptance is something we all take from him.

I end my post with a simple kiss of love to this man who has taught me and so many around him so much. Shubha ratri ajju. Hope the stars shine brighter with you among them now.

Labels:

posted by Tejaswini Shenoy at 8:21 PM

7 Comments:

I dunno what to say. I deeply feel and understand the loss. I hardly have words to express my feelings. I don't even want to say i feel sorry for the loss (i knw u understand what I mean to say by this)

Its like, I think some 8-9 yrs that I saw ur gps. But getting updates from u always made me feel as though they aren't far by.

September 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Its really sad to lose someone so close.. Take care..

September 27, 2009 at 7:27 PM  

Thank you...

September 27, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

hi ammannu, i know you know this and every single person must have said this to you.. his blessings are always with you. he loved u the most among all the grandchildren.. you gave him so much joy and happiness...he was proud of you and he always will be looking out for you..

i am glad that he spoke to you on ur bday. :) I was always jealous of u for being their favorite.. :)

love you dear..

September 29, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

My condolences.

October 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM  

@Ashwini: You know it was really cool that you had them both at your wedding.. staying at your house... it was really nice that happened...

@Phatichar: Thank you

October 31, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home