Simply Me

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Freaked out!!!

OK, I can honestly say, very few things frighten me.. I mean seriously I have held a python in my hands and that when I was a kid. The dark has never scared me. When I was a kid, annu used to make me get something from a dark room, so no issues there. Giant wheels.. Roller Coasters, I enjooooooooooooy... But there is one thing that totally freaks me out... I guess you can say I have inherited this from amma.. Lizards scare the daylights out of me.. Well I am not sure about scaring me, but they sure disgust me to no end.. Lizard mera raasta kaat le to main 9 kadam peeche ho jaaoon...

Anyway lets come to why I am writing about reptiles today. Today morning, while I was getting ready to record for the new edition of Puneri Thecha for Radio Idli, amma rushed in to tell me that there was a lizard dead in the house. She was cleaning something and there it was, staring up at amma. Now amma, she like, totally totally goes berserk at the name of a lizard.. One bad experience involving amma's childhood visit to her relatives', rat traps, lunch and a lizard tail are enough to make her run a mile away at the mention of a lizard; If you get the drift. Amma pretty much takes everything in her stride... but 'sokni's... [-( .. So here she comes to my room talking of dead lizards. It is the season of dead lizards probably. Amma had told me that she had bravely got rid of a small dead baby lizard the other day. Well looks like it was my turn to get brave. (I guess knowing that I was at home, and there was another option besides having to remove the lizar herself, amma's courage left her. All she managed to do was poke at the lizard with a newspaper and the lack of movement proved that the lizard was dead or atleast knocked out.. Guess it partied too hard last night... TGIF???)

Now I have always believed that 'There's nothing to fear but fear itself.' But come on what do you do about lizards? OK, time to face my fears... I get armed with a newspaper and a dustpan and bravely go to the table where amma had found this lizard.. All right I was shaking in my boots, well I would have been if I had been wearing shoes, but I went to take a look. One look at that unblinking stare and I took a few steps back... You know these things look alive even when they are dead.. They do have eyelids apparently (yeah I checked on the net), but this one had its eyes wide open.. Lord you'd think it really was alive.

Ok, Tejaswini, take a deep breath. If amma can do it, so can I. I poke at the lizard with the newspaper too..... Ewwwwwwwwww the damned thing seems to be stuck.... Ickkkkkky... I back out... Sorry people show over.. I'm getting outta here... I go to amma's room, she has already beat a hasty retreat. She can't even bear to look at what I am gonna do... Sorry amma.. Not possible.. OK fine, I'll ask the watchman to come when I am leaving for work, she says. But what do we do till then. I mean seriously, a dead lizard in the house, this house is not big enough for two frightened females and a dead lizard... OK this time I am gonna do it... Back outside... I again pick up the newspaper and dustpan... I take a deep breath and in one quick stroke, get the lizard on the dustpan. Amma suggested, just flush it down.. The trash was already taken for the day, so no option.. that is what I do. Flushhhhhhhhh...... And over.. That lizard is out of our lives... Wish I could flush the memory too.. :(

Labels:

posted by Tejaswini Shenoy at 11:29 AM

7 Comments:

so now that ur no more afraid of the sokni..

what else is left.. ur teju the fearless now eh!!!

July 14, 2007 at 2:45 PM  

Teju mat kaho naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

July 14, 2007 at 2:46 PM  

aah! u with lizards, me scared of spiders eeeewwww... i can't bear to look at them from outside the tv screen... I agree lizards aren't darling either!!

hehe..but was funny imagining u trying to get rid of the same. quite a (mis)adventure u had!

July 16, 2007 at 2:00 PM  

Misadventure indeed... >:P

July 17, 2007 at 10:32 AM  

Misadventure?? C'mon,u atleast flushed it out rite...
its jus one o those unfortunately unfortunate events..hmm...

July 20, 2007 at 12:16 PM  

hey teju
well nice way to express urself through blogs, had read it the other day but didn't have much to write, but day before yesterday when i saw a lizard on the wall just remembered ur post and had a hearty laugh, just wanted to share this with u ...

Happy blogging

July 27, 2007 at 3:14 PM  

Thanx ananth.. but one thing.. Teju mat kaho naaaaaaaa :(

July 27, 2007 at 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home